Marriage Visas

If your spouse is living abroad, and you want to allow him or her to travel to America and receive a Green Card and become a permanent resident, you will need a Marriage Visa. If your spouse is already in the country with a valid visa, he or she would apply for an Adjustment of Status to get a Green Card. The process may seem straightforward, but as always, when dealing with government bureaucracies, there are delays and red tape. The best solution for most people is to consult with a Marriage Visa Lawyer who is familiar with the process and will take care of all the details. Call 407-644-2466 to speak with a Central Florida Immigration Attorney for help in getting your Marriage Visa.

How do you get a Marriage Visa in Florida?

First, you’ve got to make sure both you and your spouse qualify. You must either have a Green Card or be a U.S. citizen in order to bring your husband or wife to live in America as a permanent resident. Then the spouse who is already a U.S. citizen files both Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative and Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, at the same time. A spouse in the U.S. who is a Green Card holder, would file Form I-130, then apply to adjust status to permanent residency using Form I-485.  

Eligible spouses of U.S. citizens who have been married for less than two years are issued a CR-1 or conditional resident visa. Spouses of Green Card holders are eligible for F-2 or family second preference visas. 

If you wish to get married in the U.S., you would file for a K-1 fiancé visa.

In all cases, you must show the ability to support your spouse (or get a sponsor).

How Long does it take to get a Marriage Visa?

If you are a U.S. Citizen, the process can take anywhere from 10 months to a year. Green Card holders filing for their spouses can expect to wait up to two years. Once the CR-1 petition is filed, you should receive a case number within 2-3 weeks. Approval of the petition can take between 5 and 8 months. Your case then goes to the National Visa Center (NVC) for further processing. It may take up to 3 months before the U.S. Consul or Embassy in your spouse’s home country gets the paperwork. There are fees to pay along the way, and your spouse will be scheduled for a medical exam and an interview.

If all goes well, your spouse will receive a marriage visa allowing travel to the U.S. It usually takes a couple of months after arrival in America for the spouse to get a Green Card in the mail.

It can be a very complicated process and it’s easy to make mistakes. Most people find that it’s best to consult an Orlando Marriage Visa Attorney. The Immigration Lawyers at the Rivas Immigration Law Firm can help. Call 407-644-2466 to get started.