Adjustment of Status

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS Foreign citizens who are in the United States and entered legally may apply for a Green Card to get lawful permanent resident status without leaving the country through Adjustment of Status. Once the process is started you are generally allowed to stay in the country even if your visa expires while you are waiting for a Green Card. But the process can be long and difficult because it involves different government agencies with complicated rules and regulations. A wrong answer on a form, a lost document, or a missed deadline can easily turn the process into a bureaucratic nightmare.

Adjustment of status lawyer

The Orlando immigration attorneys at the Rivas Law Firm can help you get your Green Card by handling all the details so you don’t have to worry. For help, call 407-644-2466 to talk with an Orlando Immigration Attorney.

Getting a Green Card in Central Florida

To get a Green Card through an Adjustment of Status, you need an approved immigrant petition. If you don’t have one, you’ll need to find out which category of Green Card Eligibility fits you best. Common categories include:

  • Family
  • Employment
  • Asylum Seeker or Refugee 
  • Human trafficking and crime victims
  • Victims of abuse

You generally need a sponsor to file the petition on your behalf, someone such as a relative or an employer. Filing a petition is an important step. To make sure it’s done correctly, you should consult an Adjustment of Status Lawyer

Application for Adjustment of Status

The application for Adjustment of Status is Form I-485. If you haven’t filed the petition, you may be able to file it along with the Status Adjustment. Filing both at once is called concurrent filing. Not everyone is eligible for status adjustment, so first, make sure you qualify. Once you’ve filed your I-485 application, the next step is to set up a Biometrics Appointment. This is where you provide fingerprints, photos, and your signature. After that, you’ll have an interview with a USCIS officer. If your interview is satisfactory,the officer will likely let you know right away, and you will receive your new Green Card in the mail.

The process can be tricky and frustrating. The founder of the Rivas Law Firm, Jose Rivas, understands your situation. He came to America and became a successful entrepreneur and a respected attorney. If you’d like some help achieving Permanent Residence Status from someone who’s been where you are now, call 407-644-2466 and talk to a Central Florida Immigration Attorney at the Rivas Law Firm.